Jump to Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good cheesy potato?
Twice-baked potatoes get their name from two different baking processes you have to do in order to prepare them. It is a somewhat lengthy procedure to make these Easy Twice Baked Potatoes, but so worth the time!
First, you bake the whole potatoes, then you scrape the insides to fill them up with other amazing ingredients!
The insides you scraped are usually used in the mixture, but what I like to do is make the amazing potato meatballs from them!
The Mediterranean Diet Recipe
These potatoes are a Mediterranean version of the usual recipes. Instead of a full-fat cheese usually used, this recipe calls for cream cheese and feta cheese. This gives them a gentle texture and delicate flavor.
Twice-baked potatoes also often call for the bacon as the meat part of the filling. However, this version uses smoked salmon which is a much healthier choice of meats!
Even though this is a somewhat lighter and healthier version, you should still be aware of the high caloric values, and adjust the rest of your meals accordingly.
Twice Baked Potatoes Cook Time
The total cooking time of these delicious potatoes is 1 hour and 15 minutes. This is because you bake the whole potatoes for 1 hour to get them nice and tender inside, so you can scrape the insides and fill them up with the filling of your choice.
After you fill the potatoes, you return them to the oven for another 15 minutes until the potatoes get that golden brown shade.
What to serve with twice baked potatoes
Twice-baked potatoes are a perfect side dish for any main course, but some of my favorite meals include:
- fish – grilled or baked
- chicken – marinated chicken breasts, chicken wings, tights, whatever you like!
These potatoes are also excellent as an appetizer, or on their own as a full meal! Just double the batch if you serve them as a main meal!
In order to make a vegetarian version of the recipe, you can just skip the salmon, and they will still taste amazing! You can also use any store-bought meat substitute, chop it, and add it instead of the salmon.
Another delicious vegetarian substitute in this recipe includes sun-dried tomatoes or olives which will really give you the ultimate Mediterranean feeling!
How To Make Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
Easy Twice Baked PotatoesCourse: Sides, AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
2 medium potatoes
200g/7 oz cream cheese
100g/3.5 oz feta cheese
50g smoked salmon, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the potatoes and scrub any excess remains of dirt.
- Put them in an oven-proof dish and drizzle with olive oil all over.
- Cover with foil and set in the oven heated to 220°C/428°F.
- Bake the potatoes for around 60 minutes, until the knife can smoothly go through them.
- When the potatoes are thoroughly baked, carefully cut them in half.
- Use a teaspoon to scrape the insides of the potato halves. Leave around 1cm/0.39 in.
- Transfer the insides into a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, feta cheese, smoked salmon, dill, pepper, and a touch of olive oil.
- Use 1-2 tsp of the mixture and add it to the potato insides.
- Mix well, and shape them into meatballs. Put them in the baking dish with the potato halves.
- Fill the potato halves with the rest of the mixture.
- Put the potatoes back in the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown.
- For the vegetarian version, skip the salmon and add any chopped store-bought meat substitute, dried tomatoes, or olives.
- Using the foil to cover the potatoes will prevent oil from getting all over your oven and burning.